Thursday, July 17, 2008

summer in the big city

So I thought I would update everyone on what I've been up to internship-wise in the city. It's been quite the experience....
Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays I work at a creative imaging, branding and advertising agency called Paganucci Wolfington, (www.paganucciwolfington.com). Basically a couple runs the company, two very cool people, John and Monica, and then there's this guy Art who comes in now and then and bounces ideas around. it's quite a cool office, not in the best area though (right next to Mansion, the night club, and Scores, some strip club i believe haha, and a bunch of homeless shelters). Then there's this quiet but cool Japanese intern, who is in his 30s but looks like he is a late teen, came all the way from Japan to do graphic design on his own, and is taking english classes every morning before work. very cool.

then there's this freelancer laura who has many other clients and works mostly from home. she's also cool. and there's a girl Polly who well..i'm not sure what she does. ha. and on Mondays and Tuesdays I am joined by another intern Catherine, who is a rising junior at RISD. also very nice. All in all, cool place to work. SO far I've worked on an Old Navy campaign, working on page ads; a new logo concept for elite clothing brand Badgley Mischka; and currently working on a whole holiday concept for Joe Boxer (page ads, holiday icons, signs etc.) It's fun to brainstorm with the team and I'm really impressed that such a small group can work with such big clients. In any case, I enjoy it.

Then... Wednesdays and Thursdays I work for Conde nast. Up until last week I was working for Golf for Women magazine...but GUESS WHAT! it folded last monday..yes yes..it did. the editor-in-chief accepted a job for Oprah magazine and the execs decided to fold the magazine RIGHT before we would have published our 20th anniversary issue (which included some page layouts that I had designed. lovely.) haha The art director I worked under was super cool, Merv, a great chill guy in his 30s, married, has a daughter and just finished up his masters in design management at Pratt. thing is, now, he is out of a job. like most people who worked for Golf for Women. Can you believe it? One day you're working for the biggest publishing house in the world, and the next you're unemployed. most people i know have been having interviews, some internally within Conde, and are still waiting back. with the market and everything though, it is very tough.

So last thursday I interviewed for Golf World magazine. (PS. I have never played golf. ever) And they gave me an internship offer for the next few weeks until I leave New York. So yesterday I started there and it's fun. In this case the art team is a bit bigger since the magazine is much more successful and weekly (as opposed to 6 times a year). now i'm working for this cool girl, late 20s, who graduated from GW. seems like a cool job to have at that age. mmm wonder where I'll be in 5 years. so yeah. I've just been making email signatures, illustrations, invitations etc. it's been fun, but i do realise how cut-throat conde is. do i want to stay in publishing? hmmm..today consisted of working, going to a goodbye lunch for a girl who got fired, attending a birthday party on this mini golf course we have in the office with sangria and cupcakes, making a ritual trip to taste-d-lite at 3.30 with the art team, and yeah... i'm heading out to connecticut next wednesday for the Golf Digest publications summer social out at a country club in westport, where apparently there will be carnival games, even twister. haha should be interesting. loving the networking!

well that sums it up.. i've been thinking a lot about what i want to do after i graduate in may.. should i try and get into the Conde Nast world? should I freelance on the side? Should I do something more indie?...a lot could change in the next year i guess.

No comments: